By Vivek Maitra and Sarayu R, 26 July, 2016
Ever wondered why some of your new hires leave in the very first year? A study by the Aberdeen Group found that 86% of new hires decide to stay or leave a company within their first six months. This is precisely what makes Onboarding a vital component of an organization’s talent management strategy. However, it is often one of the most poorly managed activities.
New joiners experience a wide range of emotions – Going through so many firsts in a new organization could always be challenging. Most new joiners take time to understand their roles in the organization. Some are less engaged and take longer time to reach productivity. A new workplace, new culture and a busy manager leave them anxious and unappreciated. The onboarding process in most organizations is a ‘mind numbing’ experience as it simply focuses on filling of forms. Added to it the new hires have a deluge of questions running through their mind like –
- Will I meet their expectations?
- Where can I find information on benefits and other policies?
- Should I be learning something before joining?
- How are people in the organization going to be?
The list goes on. These are questions that need to be addressed early because an unhappy or an apprehensive new joiner can hurt the team’s performance.
First impression matters because you would definitely want your new joiner to think “I made the right decision”.
So, how do you create the vital first impression?
Simple – By implementing an efficacious onboarding solution. A solution that is simple, automatic and efficient – that lays the foundation for productive and engaged new hire. An effective onboarding solution ensures that the new hires are welcomed, valued, and prepared for what lies ahead in the journey.
How does SuccessFactors Onboarding help solve these issues?
SAP SuccessFactors Onboarding module redefines the traditional onboarding experience. SuccessFactors Onboarding helps you consistently and efficiently convert new hires into engaged, empowered, and productive employees.
Let’s look at the things that can be accomplished through SAP SuccessFactors Onboarding module.
- New Hire Goal Setting– You can set goals for your new hire and align them to your organization’s goals.
- Prepare Checklist for Manager– You can prepare a ToDo list for your manager on the things to be done when a candidate is hired.
- People to Meet – You can assign a buddy to the new hire and send a notification to the buddy and the new hire.
- Paper work completion – Eliminate mundane paperwork and ensure all the forms are completed accurately.
- Access Learning Management System (LMS) – If SuccessFactors LMS is deployed, role based training can be assigned to the new joiner
- Furnish Equipment – You can request an equipment for the new starter – like business cards, laptop, phones etc. and also trigger a workflow to take approvals from the respective teams, if needed
- New Hire Portal (Employee Portal) – This portal helps companies improvise their branding. It can include attachments, policies, texts, videos etc. and make it look appealing!
Leverage the New Hire Portal to Solve New Hire Issues
Now let’s look at how you can WOW your new hires by utilizing the New Hire Portal of the Onboarding module.
- Setting up an FAQ – Provide a list of questions and answers covering areas of concern from previous new hires. Clearing their doubts and confusions even before they could voice it out makes the new joiners feel welcomed.
- Assign Learning and Tasks in the New Hire Portal – Research says that employees who feel connected and accepted are less anxious and more productive upon entering the organization. New hire portal connects new hires with relevant training content even before their first day, creating early engagement and ultimately improving retention. Various training links, documents, and videos can be made available in the portal. It also allows you to create various tasks or activities to keep new hires engaged.
- Introducing company Vision and Mission – Onboarding looks complete when the employees are educated about the mission, vision, culture and values of the organization. Share the Mission, Vision, Statements in the New Hire Portal. Also share pictures and videos of events happening in the organization.
- Assign Surveys to New Joiners – New joiners can be provided with Survey to gauge the effectiveness the recruitment and pre-onboarding processes. It is also possible to calculate the level of engagement using these surveys.
New hire portal helps new joiners become successful productive employees. Instead of being another isolated HR program, New Hire portal (Employee Portal) allows onboarding to be at the centre of the talent strategy, empowering new hires to ramp up quickly.
Neeyamo helps clients maximize the benefits of the SAP SuccessFactors onboarding system and utilize all of the available features that ensure successful onboarding of new employees. To know more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.